We bring happenings and stories from the North, to you. Marriage Relationship Love Social Issues Divorce Etc

For Adverts Placement, send a mail

Saturday 6 February 2016

RAHAMA SADAU-It was tough convincing my mum to let me go into acting.

Kannywood screen diva, Rahama Sadau, is one
of the lead actors in new Wale Adenuga’s
Super Story Series, The Other Side. The 2015
City People Best Actress in Kannywood, in this
interviews with OLUSHOLA RICKETTS, speaks
on how she convinced her mother to go into
acting, Nollywood and her passion for the
trade.

You are playing a lead role in Wale Adenuga’s
productions; how would you describe the
experience?
I am in Lagos for the making of Super Story,
The Other Side; it is a new edition. I am
playing a married woman named Asabi, a
strong working woman who is suffering in
the hands of her husband.
I have been on the set for three weeks and
this is my first film with Wale Adenuga. It is
really a pleasure because I have been
watching Super Story since I was a kid.
Super Story is very popular in the North
also. It is wholesome and everything is
working out well. I just love it here.

What influenced your decision to go into acting?
I have always wanted to be an actress, and
you know all you need is a little
opportunity. I just got this little opportunity
and here I am today.
Considering the strict rules guiding the girl child
in the north how did you convince your parents
to support you?
It is true women from the north have
restrictions because of our norms and
tradition. But once you can take care of
yourself and you abide by the rules, you are
free to do all you desire to do. If you have
supportive parents too, everything will work
out well. It is not that they are afraid to let
the girls engage in social activities, but you
need to abide by the rules.
I really went through a lot before my mother
agreed to this because she felt I would be
traveling around, meeting different men,
among others. But once she had faith in me
everything changed.
She even started to query me anytime I was
at home doing nothing. But she wasn’t ready
to let me go into it at the beginning. My
father is not as strict as my mother. He
believes that if you want something you
should go for it. He just wants you to take
care of yourself and make sure you are
doing the right thing.

What did you do to convince her?
When she didn’t allow me I just forgot about
it and went back to school. People had told
her she shouldn’t allow me to act and she
later told me that they said actors drink a lot
and engage in bad habits. I said I had no
idea about that and since she didn’t like it
we shouldn’t talk about it. She then said she
gave me three months to see if I won’t turn
into somebody bad. I can still recall the
shock in her face the day I told her I was
celebrating my first anniversary in
Kannywood. She said she was yet to see
changes in me and that I don’t drink or
sleep outside.

What is your level of education?
I am currently a student of purchasing and
supplying, Kaduna State Polytechnic. At the
time I enrolled for the course I wasn’t sure
my mother would allow me to act. I was
already in school and I had given up acting.

What are the challenges facing Kannywood?
There is nothing more to tell; I think every
industry has its own problems and we’ve
been able to manage ours. We are just a
small community and we try to create things
together. Kannywood is also like an
extended home for me. The only difference
with Nollywood is the language. I would love
to feature more in Nollywood movies, this is
my third year in acting and I am happy with
my contribution. But I just hope more
opportunities come my way.

How would you advise young northerners,
especially girls?
Many girls in the north now see me as an
inspiration. They should believe in
themselves and their abilities. But they
shouldn’t do anything contrary once their
parents say no because it could come back to
haunt them. They should also take their
studies seriously.

So you won’t have objected if your mother
didn’t change her mind?
I won’t ever consider acting without her Things
support and blessing.  could get bad if
she said no and I went against her wish. It
would seem like a curse because I didn’t get
her consent.

Where do you see yourself in the next five
years?
I would still be an actress and probably a
mother.

Is there anyone in your life?
So far, I am only focusing on my career
because this is like a beginning for me. I
need concentration to maintain balance
before merging two things together. I am not
seeing anyone at present.

How then do you cope with advances from
men?
Some are fans while some are friends; you
just have to be nice to everybody.
What are the qualities you look for in a man?
It is basically the beauty inside.

What is the craziest thing a fan has done to
you?
There was this fan in Niger that touched me
and began to cry. I was really shocked and I
started wondering what had happened to
her.

Do you have recent awards, recognition?
Oh yes, I have many awards. Last year I
received the City People Award for Best
Actress in Kannywood and it is precious to
me. I also collected Afro Nollywood Awards
in London, Best Actress in Kannywood. I
appreciate these two awards.

So do you have what it takes to compete in
Nollywood?
I would love to join Nollywood like I said
earlier; Super Story is my second film in
Nollywood. I did one in August last year, it
was not a series like the Wale Adenuga
Productions.
I featured in Chidi Chikere’s production
titled The Light Will Come, and I acted
alongside Mercy Johnson and Majid Michel.
I want to be part of Nollywood because
acting has no language. I am using this
opportunity to call on Nollywood producers
and directors to bring more challenges to
me.

Why does it appear that most Kannywood stars
don’t like to leave their comfort zone?
As I told you earlier, sometimes you just
need a little opportunity to move up. I
believe they are yet to get the opportunity to
work in Nollywood. We all know Lagos is a
very big place. If I just come to Lagos to
start acting, where do I go or start from? So
it is not that they don’t like to join, but how
would they go about it? That is the situation
of things.

Is acting hereditary for you?
I grew up watching many movies and I fell
in love with acting gradually. Though l loved
to be an actor as a kid, I was also scared
because I saw actors as people who were far
from me, people I couldn’t see or touch.
We don’t have any actor in my family so I
would say I am the first, but I am now
seeing the possibility in my little sister. I
guess she has been watching me too much. I
am from a family of six; I am the second
born and I don’t joke with my family.

How would you describe your fashion sense?
I just know what looks good on me. I like
Toyin Lawani as a fashion designer; her
work inspires you.

Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment

No part of my write-ups should in one way or the other be copied and transferred digitally or electronically without proper permission from me.. Powered by Blogger.

Formulir Kontak

Name

Email *

Message *

Search This Blog

Categories

Tags

Popular Posts

Label

Pages